Equipment and resources
We believe that high quality care and education is promoted by providing children with safe, clean, attractive, age and stage appropriate resources, toys and equipment. We aim to provide children with resources and equipment which help to consolidate and extend their knowledge, skills, interests and aptitudes.
In order to achieve this aim:
- we provide play equipment and resources which are safe and – where applicable – conform to the BSEN safety standards or Toys (Safety) Regulation (1995);
- we provide a sufficient quantity of equipment and resources for the number of children;
- we provide resources which promote all areas of children’s learning and development, which may be child or adult-led;
- we select books, equipment and resources which promote positive images of people of all races, cultures and abilities, are non-discriminatory and avoid racial and gender stereotyping;
- we provide play equipment and resources which promote continuity and progression, provide sufficient challenge and meet the needs and interests of all children;
- we provide made, natural and recycled materials which are clean, in good condition and safe for the children to use;
- we provide furniture which is suitable for children and furniture which is suitable for adults;
- we check all resources and equipment daily as they are set out at the beginning of each session and put away at the end of each session. We repair and clean, or replace any unsafe, worn out, dirty or damaged equipment;
- We also undertake termly equipment inspection and cleaning;
- We provide adequate insurance cover for the preschools resources and equipment.
- We plan the provision of activities and appropriate resources so that a balance of familiar equipment and resources and new exciting challenges is offered.
- we keep an inventory of resources and equipment. we use the inventory to:
review the balance of resources and equipment so that they can support a range of activities across all areas of play, learning and development.
This policy was reviewed August 2019
Signed on behalf of the Preschool Anne Ridgway and Heather Gardner