Record Retention Policy
This policy is subject to the laws relating to data protection and document retention.
We are required under legislation to keep certain records about children, parents and also staff members. Due to this legislation we are required to keep this information for a set amount of time.
Below is a brief overview of the information we keep and for how long. This policy should be used in conjunction with the Data Protection and Confidentiality policy (including Access and Storage of Information) and the Privacy Notice.
- Children’s records – Until the child reaches 25 years of age.
- Records relating to individual children e.g. care plans, speech and language referral forms – We will pass these on to the child’s next school or setting following our Local Authority’s protocols for transition and sharing of sensitive records.
- Copies will be kept until the child reaches 25 years of age.
- Accidents and pre-existing injuries – If relevant to child protection we will keep these until the child reaches 25 years of age.
- Safeguarding Records and Cause for Concern forms – We will keep until the child has reached 25 years of age.
- Records of any reportable death, injury, disease or dangerous occurrence (for children) – As these incidents could result in potential negligence claims, or evolve into a more serious health condition, we keep records until the child reaches the age of 25 years. Type of accidents include fractures, broken limbs, serious head injuries or where the child is hospitalised.
- Records of any reportable death, injury, disease or dangerous occurrence (for staff) – 3 years
- Observation, planning and assessment records of children, cohort tracking – We keep our planning filed since the last inspection date so there is a paperwork trail if the inspector needs to see it.
- Information and assessments about individual children is either given to parents when the child leaves or to the next setting/school that the child moves to (with parents’ permission).
- Personnel files and training records (including disciplinary records and working time records, DBS checks)– 7 years
- Visitors/signing in book – Up to 24 years as part of the child protection trail.
- Accounting records – 7 years.
- Children’s free funding- We keep our contracts filed since the last LA audit date so there is a trail to audit.
- Insurance certificates– 40 years from the date the insurance commences.
This policy will be reviewed annually and amended according to any change in law/legislation.
This policy was adopted September 2020
Signed on behalf of the Preschool Anne Ridgway and Heather Gardner